By the end of the workshop participants will be able to:
● Define the basics of copyright.
● Discuss why retaining copyright is useful for academic authors.
● Recognize the sections of a publishing contract.
● Identify common book contract terms and explain why they are important to authors.
● Revise book contract terms to better reflect the needs of authors.
● Plan to negotiate changes to a publishing contract that are advantageous to the author.
● Identify 2-3 sources of additional information on negotiating with publishers to keep copyright.
Mills, Carolyn V. and Rodriguez, Michael, "Negotiate Book Contracts with Publishers" (2021). UConn Library Presentations. 56.